Friday, July 6, 2012

All Aboard!

Little Guy with Grandma and Papa aboard the Smoky Mtn RR
I can't tell you how many times we've gone to Bryson City to get on the train only to be told they're sold out.  Grandma surprised us this time by pre-booking seats ahead of time.  Little Guy had no idea what he was in for!  In the past, we've gone all the way there and not gotten on the train of course, so we would eat in the restaurant and visit the little bookstore across the street from the station.  Poor Guy thought that's what we were there for this time too!  When he finally processed that I said,  "No baby, we're going to ride on the train this time" he was SOOO excited!
Super excited to get to ride the train!
So, after a short wait while Grandma picked up the tickets, they called "all aboard" and we boarded for our adventure aboard The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad.  I hadn't been on the train since I was a kid, so it was a nice treat for me as well!  Remember the movie starring Harrison Ford called The Fugitive?  Remember the train crash scene?  It was filmed in The Smokies right along the very track we were traveling.  They kept the crash site preserved from the movie for us to see along our journey to Dillsboro.  So cool!  The movie was made after my last trip on the train, so this was my first time seeing the wreckage.
A peek at the wreckage from The Fugitive
Of course no train ride would be complete without a train robbery and a rescue from The Lone Ranger!
The Bad Guy
Little Guy with The Lone Ranger
Grandma and Papa checking out the sights

Once we were in Dillsboro, I totally had a flashback!  It hasn't really changed much from my childhood.  Papa surprised me that day.  He pushed himself and actually was able to walk pretty far.  He not only did really well getting up and down from the train car, but we walked down to the General Store, which has an old time soda fountain and he only stopped to rest once!  I guess he really wanted that soda!  Who can blame him, they make really good stuff!!
Enjoying sodas, shakes and ice cream at the General Store
Of course, since we were in the General Store, there was shopping to be done.  Little Guy found the display with polished rocks, so I let him pick out a small bag-full.
picking out his rocks
After a while it was time for "all aboard" again for the return trip to Bryson City.  I snapped a quick picture of Little Guy on the engine (his favorite part of a train) before we climbed up into our car.  I know you can't tell by the fake smile on his face, but he was really happy!  I think he thought we were doing something wrong because the engine was running, and people were boarding.  O well!
On the engine
It was a rather quiet trip back to Bryson City.  Little Guy played with Papa's cane for a bit, but then he succumbed to the gentle rocking of the train car and we all took a nice little nap!
The Poser

Nite Nite Termite!

No comments:

Post a Comment